Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reading--Just Reading--the Psalms




I am not the first person to find the Psalms to be a source of survival.

Recently I came to these pages and brought a shriveled up soul, worn and parched.  I am known in my family for a sometimes annoyingly optimistic outlook, an even keel.  These resources had deserted me.  

I simply read, beginning with Chapter One.

. . . .Like a tree planted by the rivers . . . whose leaf shall not wither . . . the Lord knows the way of the righteous . . .Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him . . . You, O Lord, are a shield for me . . . Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak . . .The Lord has heard . . . I have trusted in Your mercy . . . Goodness and mercy shall follow me . . .


The mercy there has fed my soul.  So far am I from having to perform in order to receive what I need.  So far am I from having to be strong.  I simply come with a great need.

This is my God, and in the Psalms He speaks to neediness.

Isn’t that the gospel?

No comments:

Post a Comment